Jobs in our Washington, DC office
Communications and Marketing Associate
Peace Direct is looking for a dynamic and skilled Communications and Marketing Associate with a passion for supporting local people building peace. This is an ideal role for someone who is passionate about using digital and traditional media, as well as direct public outreach, to educate and mobilize people to action. The successful candidate will have a minimum of two years’ experience in communications and marketing, with outstanding writing skills, social media expertise, and traditional media savvy. We are looking for someone with a genuine passion for our mission and an ability to deliver high-quality work in a fast-paced environment. Ideal candidates will thrive working collaboratively with a small team to make big impact.
This is a full-time position based in our Washington, DC office that will help mobilize a US public constituency in support of local peacebuilding and educate US government and UN decision-makers about our work.
The Communications and Marketing Associate will be responsible for updating and creating content for our website, social media channels (FB, Twitter, IG), public events, electronic newsletter, and engagement with donors and decision-makers. The Associate will provide editorial, creative and operational support across PD’s work and will play a key role in ensuring our communications are both influential and informative for the full range of our stakeholders.
- Writing and reviewing content for our website, social media posts, email list, donor and policy engagement
- Daily management of social media communications with supporters and interested parties, building relationships with existing supporters and donors online
- Monitoring, analysing, and reporting on social media engagement and other communications products and outreach
- Developing and maintaining a media contact list, pitching content to journalists, and writing occasional op-eds and media articles.
- Providing creative, editorial and operational support for communications projects
- Supporting implementation of a new digital engagement strategy in all its aspects.
- Supporting our public engagement and fundraising strategy to grow and sustain our base of supporters
- Acting as a spokesperson for Peace Direct to public constituencies, donors, and the peacebuilding sector – championing our brand and mission to others
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated ability to write high quality, compelling content, for a range of audiences
- Experience crafting posts and managing communications for social media platforms, including FB, Twitter, and IG, in service of an organizational mission
- Basic graphic design experience and familiarity with Canva or similar design tool
- Experience supporting implementation of digital, PR, or marketing campaigns
- Excellent interpersonal and team working skills
- Able to translate complex ideas into simple, compelling messages
- Highly organized, able to work to tight deadlines
- Positive self-starter, keen to find better ways to deliver tasks and objectives
- Open and communicative, keen to help others achieve their objectives
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to quality
- Bachelor’s degree or higher with a focus in communications, marketing, or relevant area
- Salesforce, WordPress, Adobe Photoshop, and Mailchimp experience a plus
Compensation Package: $37,500/year, health care, sick leave, family leave, and generous vacation (20 days/year). A retirement plan is being established for all full-time staff.
The deadline for application is 17 July. Please email your cover letter, CV/resume, and two writing samples to Bridget Moix at [email protected]
Independent process evaluation for the ‘Youth Action for Peace’ project
Peace Direct is looking for an experienced consultant to conduct an independent process evaluation for our ‘Youth Action for Peace’ project.
In recognition of UNSCR 2250 which calls for young people to have a greater and more meaningful role in local and national peacebuilding efforts, the project aims to empower existing youth led-CSOs and youth groups to collaborate and lead their own peacebuilding initiatives at a local level, while at the same time creating spaces and opportunities for their voices to be heard by local and national policy makers. This will be achieved through detailed mapping and analysis of current youth led peacebuilding in the three contexts, bespoke capacity building and collaboration opportunities for selected organisations, the distribution of small grants to these groups to run their own initiatives and facilitating opportunities for young people to engage with their peers and decision makers on issues that affect them.
The project will take place in Eastern DRC, Pakistan, Mali and Central African Republic with young peacebuilders.
The successful candidate will be required to co-design the process evaluation with hub organisations and participants, will capture lessons and learning and facilitate participant-led learning processes, and will provide recommendations for adapting activities.
The successful candidate will be experienced in conducting process evaluations and leading evaluation teams, and must have experience in youth participation and Participatory Action Research methodologies.
The applicant must be fluent in written English and in spoken and written French.
Peace Direct is an international NGO that supports local peacebuilding in conflict zones worldwide. We work with local organisations in ten countries around the world and aim to support many more in the years to come.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Monday 17th June.
To apply, please send a CV, expression of interest and one example of a previous evaluation to [email protected]
Applicants should state their ‘daily rate’ in their application.