Young people around the world are charting creative and innovative ways to build peace. This report shares key insights and policy recommendations to enhance youth inclusion in peacebuilding processes, which has the voices and views of young peacebuilders at its heart.
Explore an interactive version of our executive summary.
Peace Direct and the United Network of Young (UNOY) Peacebuilders convened a three day online consultation in April 2019 on Platform for Dialogue, to explore the different, innovative ways in which local young peacebuilders are advancing youth inclusion in political and peacebuilding processes in their contexts.
The insights generated from this consultation form the basis of the analysis and recommendations developed in this report.
Peace Direct developed the following recommendations aimed at international donors and other actors responsible for crucial decisions related to the makeup, funding and implementation of peacebuilding efforts.
- Recognise the force of youth peacebuilders as agents of conflict transformation and peacebuilding.
- Support greater funding for youth groups and youth-led initiatives at local levels, for example through supporting youth peacebuilder networks and fostering local youth leadership.
- Improve accountability and transparency on action on YPS, such as through improved official and shadow reporting on implementation on the five pillars of SCR 2250.
- Undertake intersectional analyses to understand and address factors impeding the full recognition of the contributions of young women and other marginalised youth groups.
- Adapt to new ways of participation and new youth leadership models.
- Continue to build the evidence around young people’s contributions to peacebuilding in diverse conflict contexts.
- Support the establishment of intergenerational councils to discuss challenges related to youth inclusion in peacebuilding.
Read more reports from our ‘Local Voices for Peace’ Series
For Juneteenth, our Development and Administrative Associate in the U.S. shares her reflections. Read more »
Statement concerning the merger of the Department for International Development and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Statement from Saferworld, Conciliation Resources, International Alert and Peace Direct concerning the merging of the Department for International Development and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Read more »
The yoga practice of Sun Salutation serves as a great sequence to energise the body and mind. This graceful movement found itself part of an altogether different exercise, fundraising, as Peace Direct, asked people to raise money by performing ‘500 Sun Salutations in May’. Read more »