We respect your privacy. Peace Direct is committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what information we hold, whether you are a donor, volunteer, fundraiser or follower.
Developing a better understanding of our supporters through their personal data allows us to fundraise more efficiently, which ultimately helps in stopping lives being destroyed by war.
The purpose of this policy is to give you a clear explanation about how we collect and use the personal information you provide to us and that we collect, whether online, via phone, email, in letters or in any other correspondence or from third parties.
We are registered with the Information Commissioner for the United Kingdom and ensure that we use your information in accordance with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information.
What information do we collect?
- Information you give us. For example, when you engage with our social media, comment on our blogs, make a donation to us, register for an event or otherwise provide us with personal information. When you register, we’ll ask for personal information, like your name, email address and telephone number. This information will be stored in a database but it will be used only for the purposes for which it was submitted. We will not send you additional information without your express permission.
- Information we get from your use of our website and services. We collect information about the services you use and how you use them, like when you watch a video on YouTube, visit our websites or view and interact with our ads and content. We, like all companies, are able to confirm what browser you are using, IP address and computer operating systems that are being used and this information may be used to improve the services we offer and ensure the web site is functioning correctly.
- Information from third parties. We may also receive information about you from third parties. This can include information such as your name, postal address, email address, phone number, your geographic location (for mobile devices), credit/debit card details and whether you are a tax payer so that we can claim Gift Aid.
How do we use this information?
Marketing materials, fundraising and profiling
If you actively provide your consent to us along with your email address and/or mobile phone number, we may contact you for marketing purposes by email or text. By subscribing to Peace Direct emails or opting in to email communication from Peace Direct, you grant us the right to use the email for both email marketing purposes and advertisement targeting.
If you have provided us with your telephone number and consented to receive calls from Peace Direct, we may contact you for marketing purposes.
If you have provided us with your postal address we may send you direct mail about our work unless you have told us that you would prefer not to receive such information.
It is always your choice as to whether you want to receive information about our work, how we raise funds and the ways you can get involved. If you do not want us to use your personal information in these ways please indicate your preferences on the form on which we collect your data.
You may opt-out of our marketing communications at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in at the end of our marketing emails sending us an “opt-out” email message.
You can also change any of your contact preferences at any time (including telling us that you don’t want us to contact you for marketing purposes by telephone, or by post) by contacting our Supporter Care team on 0203 422 5549 or by emailing [email protected].
We will not use your personal information for marketing purposes if you have indicated that you do not wish to be contacted by us for such purposes. However, we will retain your details on a suppression list to help ensure that we do not continue to contact you.
We carry out targeted fundraising activity to ensure that we are contacting you with the most appropriate communication, which is relevant and timely and will ultimately provide an improved experience for you. In doing so, we may use profiling techniques or use third party wealth screening companies and insight companies to provide us with general information about you. Such information is compiled using publicly available data about you or information that you have already provided to us.
Profiling also allows us to use our resources effectively, which donors consistently tell us is a key priority for them. We do this because it allows us to understand the background of the people who support us and helps us to make appropriate requests to supporters who may be able and willing to give more than they already do. Importantly, it enables us to raise more funds, sooner, and more cost-effectively, than we otherwise would. When building a profile we may analyse geographic, demographic and other information relating to you in order to better understand your interests and preferences in order to contact you with the most relevant communications.
You can opt out of your data being used for profiling and wealth screening techniques by contacting [email protected].
Who do we disclose this information to?
Peace Direct may disclose your personal information in the following circumstances:
- To suppliers or service providers only to provide the products or services you’ve requested from our site(s) where, for example, we use a separate company to deliver goods to you.
- To third parties who provide a service to us and are data processors. This would include our trusted partners that work with us in connection with our charitable purposes, and other entities that act as fundraisers for Peace Direct or provide Peace Direct information and marketing (subject to your communication preferences and our internal policies and procedures). We require these third parties to comply strictly with our instructions and data protection laws and we will make sure that appropriate controls are in place. We enter into contracts with all of our data processors.
- Where we are under a duty to disclose your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies), or in order to enforce or apply our rights (including in relation to our website or other applicable terms and conditions) or to protect Peace Direct, for example in cases of suspected fraud or defamation.
Rest assured, we will never share, sell or swap your details with any third parties for the purposes of their own marketing or the monetising of your data.
Your choices regarding the information you provide to us.
The accuracy of your personal information is important to us. You can update the details we hold on you at any time by emailing [email protected] or calling 0203 422 5549.
Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you have a right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. You also have the right to request us to erase your personal information, request us to restrict our processing of your personal information or to object to our processing of your personal information.
Should you wish to exercise these rights we require you to prove your identity with two pieces of approved identification. Please address requests to Data Protection, Peace Direct, Second Floor, 72-74 Mare Street, London E8 4RT. We will respond within 40 days, of receipt of your written request and confirmed ID. Please provide as much information as possible about the nature of your contact with us to help us locate your records. We reserve the right to charge a fee of £10 for this process.
Where you have provided your consent for our use of your personal information, you always have a right to withdraw your consent at any time.
Yes, Peace Direct sets a number of cookies to help improve your experience on the site, and provide information on how the site is being used. You can find more information about cookies here.
First party cookies
First party cookies are set by Peace Direct. We use first party cookies to improve your experience on the website. The following cookies are set by Peace Insight:
Cookie name Description
|comment_author, comment_website, comment_email||Created after leaving a comment & allows the website to autopopulate comment fields.|
Third Party cookies
Third party cookies are set by external services on Peace Direct’s behalf. We use external services to improve your experience on the website and provide information on website usage. The following cookies are set by third parties:
Cookie name Description
Social networking plugins
On some pages we include social networking plugins for Facebook, Twitter and Google+. These plugins may set cookies. Privacy policies can be found at:
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/privacy
- Instagram: https://help.instagram.com/155833707900388
- Google: http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/
We use multiple first and third party technologies such as pixel tags and web beacons to track and improve the user experience on our sites, quality of service and to monitor the effectiveness of campaigns and digital marketing activity.
We may use them to:
- See what website content is popular and how people are using the site as they allow us to track users movement through our websites. This type of information is amalgamated so that we can build up a picture of how the site is performing.
- Make sure we offer you a consistent service. For example, if we are testing new website content or we want to run a survey, we use tracking to remember what content you have seen or if you have already been asked to join the survey.
In addition, when we email you, we may place a tag (also known as “tracking pixel”) on the email we send out. These let us monitor performance of our emails marketing activity.
Who can I contact about all this?
If you are unhappy with our work or something that we have done or failed to do, we want to know about it. We also welcome your views on what we do well. Your comments enable us as an organisation to learn and continuously improve our services.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact:
Peace Direct, Second Floor, 72-74 Mare Street, London, E8 4RT, United Kingdom