- Deadline for submission is 06 September 2017.
- Please submit 3 images. All must be taken by yourself.
- Send all 3 images as attachments to one single email, to email@example.com. No other way of submitting will be accepted.
- The filename of each image must include the surname of the entrant.
- Images should be lo-res jpegs, with a maximum filesize of 1 MB.
- We will request hi-res versions of any shortlisted images in due course. So please do not submit images for which you do not have hi-res versions. See ‘Shortlist’ section below.
- Images should be accompanied by brief caption info, stating the entrant’s full name, photo location and date, and what is happening in the image.
- Images that have been significantly manipulated or altered in post-production (eg with Photoshop) will be disqualified. See below. The judges’ opinion on this is absolute.
- Please read the terms & conditions below before submitting.
Tomorrow's Peacebuilders: Photography prize
Entries to the 2015 Tomorrow's Peacebuilders Photogaphy Prize are now closed.
We are looking for photos that illustrate the theme of ‘local peacebuilding’.
They should capture the essence of local people actively building peace in their communities or localities. This might mean preventing conflict, resolving conflict as it happens, or healing the effects of conflict.
Conflict can be interpreted widely, but does not mean domestic or criminal violence. It does mean military conflict, gang warfare or political/social unrest. It can also mean activities that are building long-term peace.
For definitions and examples of local peacebuilding, see the Peace Direct website.
First place: Photo equipment worth $600
Second prize: photo equipment worth $400.
How to enter
Terms & Conditions
By entering for the photo prize, you are agreeing to these Terms & Conditions.
The following are disqualified:
- Non-photographic work of any kind. Video, animation, artworks.
- Images that have been significantly manipulated or altered in post-production (see below).
- Images taken before 2013.
- Images previously published in mainstream media. (Images published on entrants’ personal digital platforms/channels are eligible.)
The following are eligible:
- Black and white images and panoramic images.
- Images shot on smartphones and tablets, provided that they have been taken on a 5 megapixel or higher phone camera. (Image metadata will be checked to ensure compliance.)
Entrants who are shortlisted will be emailed to ask for hi-res versions of their image. Hi-res means the original images must be high enough resolution to be printed at 30cm x 25cm (3600 pixels along longest length) at 300dpi. We will also ask shortlistees for a short biography.
The entrant must be the sole author and owner of the copyright of all images entered. It is the legal responsibility of the entrant, and not the organisers, to ensure that they comply with these ownership and copyright requirements, and own the rights to reproduction of their images. Entries that do not fulfill these criteria will be deemed ineligible and disqualified. Where this is discovered after the prize has been awarded, the prize must be returned or refunded by the entrant. Entrants agree to fully indemnify Peace Direct and its sponsors and employees in respect of all royalties, fees and any other monies owing to any person by reason of the entrant breaching any of the foregoing.
Peace Direct reserves the right to reproduce, without payment, any images for publicity and promotion purposes in connection with the competition and its activities, for up to three years. By entering, you are granting Peace Direct a license to do this. This is a non-exclusive license and you are free to use the images elsewhere. Any commercial use of images will be negotiated directly with the photographer.
We will credit the names of individual entrants when reproducing images.
You may use digital manipulation to optimise an image, and you may crop an image, but you are not permitted to add or remove key elements of the composition. Brightness, contrast, colour balance can all be adjusted. Dust spots and minor elements etc can be retouched. Images can be sharpened before printing. The judges have the discretion to reject any image which has been, in their opinion, over-manipulated, removing the integrity of the original image. Composite or montaged images, from more than one original image are not eligible. Entrants submitting prize-winning entries will, on request, be required to produce the original image file before a prize is awarded.
If you have any further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org